I just made these amazing muffins last night for us to enjoy on Sunday Morning with our tea (we’re drinking Sierra Sunrise). I wanted a muffin that was bright and lemony and super healthy. I used Lankanto golden monkfruit sugar in place of real sugar, as well as applesauce in place of butter as I’m trying to lower my calories while I get ready for vacation. These replacements save over 1,000 calories in this recipe! BOOM!
- Gluten Free
- Sugar Free
- Low Carb
- High Protein
- Low Fat
I use Almond flour because it creates a moist muffin and is low carb, with a little coconut flour to even out the texture. If you want to make this as a bread, I would omit the coconut flour and use the full 2 cups of almond flour for the recipe.
Zucchini is abundant in the Summer months, and inexpensive, so I use it in a ton of savory & sweet dishes.
You can also add 1/2 cup of fresh berries (blueberry, strawberry, raspberry) to this recipe, which would be really delicious.
Other tea pairings for this would be Lemon Biscottea & Sunny Snow Day (yes, I know it’s not snowy, but this lemon/mint/vanilla/green tea is perfect), I was just in the mood for hibiscus, yerba mate, lemongrass and holy basil so I chose Sierra Sunrise this morning.
I hope you enjoy!!
- 1/4 C Unsweetened Applesauce
- 3/4 C Monkfruit Sugar (Golden from Lankanto)
- 3 Pasture Raised Large Eggs
- 2 TBSP Fresh Lemon Juice*
- 2 TBPS Fresh Lemon Zest (organic)*
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 C Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/4 C Coconut Flour
- 2 TSP Baking Powder (aluminum free, I use Pamela's brand)
- 1/4 TSP Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 C Grated Zucchini (pressed in cheesecloth to reduce moisture)
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large glass bowl, whisk together applesauce and monkfruit sugar until creamy.
- Then add in eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla, whisk until well combined.
- Next add in your dry ingredients, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and sea salt, mix until well combined.
- Fold in your zucchini after it has been pressed in cloth or paper towels.
- Using an ice cream scooper, you'll roll into 12 balls and place in a muffin pan. I use a silicone one, since they wont stick. You can also use a regular muffin pan sprayed with coconut oil, or use muffin wrappers.
- Bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes. We are at high elevation, and 40 minutes is best for us.
- Cool & enjoy!!
- Tea Pairings: BlendBee Lemon Biscottea & Sunny Snow Day are both wonderful options.
- *Lemon Juice & Lemon Zest
- If you have a juicer, juice your full lemons. Use the juice for recipes & the pulp as lemon zest. It works beautifully, and you have no waste.